May 21, 2009

Dick Cheney gives a great speech

Today was a nice day for speeches about National Security. We first had President Obama give a speech in the very home of the original Constitution of the United States, and the original Bill of Rights. His speech was aimed primarily at explaining his actions and pointing out the fact that there's a fine line between Transparency and National Security.

It was a nice speech. It was loaded up heavily with contradictions such as the "Surgical Approach" line that he used in his campaign. What I mean by that is that he promises that he'll be as transparent as possible, and that he'll overhaul the "State's Secrets" policy that has been used for decades by administrations from both parties, but that he'll use a "surgical approach". Translation: "I'm really not going to do what I just said, I'll just pretend...you know...like I'm a surgeon...". Hey Mr. President, surgeons actually work - they go through an inhumane amount of schooling and training to get to where they are - they don't just fall backward into a pile of money the size of Uncle Scrooge's Money Bin and spend all their days golfing - I don't know if you were aware of that - so don't take all of their money by way of over-taxation, and don't destroy their careers through socializing medicine!!

Okay...back to the subject.

The President tends to contradict himself in many of his speeches. Maybe it's not as much contradicting himself as it is just lying. I don't know if I'm allowed to use the "L" word though. It's amazing to me that he can get away with it so well. He is a great speaker - he really makes those speeches come alive. The text of his full speech is here, so read it if you will. However, when you listen to the speech, rather than just read it, I would venture to say you'd agree with me that he is a gifted man.

All gifts aside, I prefer a little substance. If all our leaders had an honest and sincere position to stand behind, we'd all be better off. That's why I liked Dick Cheney's speech, which almost immediately followed President Obama's speech, that he gave at the American Enterprise Institute.

Former Vice President Cheney is a good man with a very honest approach. This is the line I liked the best:

"Your kind invitation brings me here as a private citizen, a career in politics behind me, no elections to win or lose, and no favor to seek."

Wow, imagine if all political speeches had such promise!

Here's a link to the transcript of Dick Cheney's speech, and here are the links to the video of the speech - part 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I've embedded some little gems for y'all below:











I like the fact that Dick Cheney is out there trying his darnedest to set the record straight. I'm giving him my vote to keep on going.

No comments:

Post a Comment